So I spent most of the night in the ward earlier today (or yesterday, if you must). Kinda fun, kinda not fun.
What made it not fun:
- Walking and standing for hours. I'm getting used to it but honestly, I wish they provided chairs for us, at each bedside. And not just any chair, those nice huge comfy ones that make you wanna drift into dreamland the moment you land your butt there! Oh. We don't want people sleeping on the job. Okay, bad idea.
- Communication breakdown. It's one thing when you don't understand what your patient is saying, but when they don't understand your questions as well, you can say goodbye to taking a good complete history. Which means, you'll need to make sure you're mentally prepared to get yelled at by the doctors. I don't get why a lot of people here can't speak or understand standard BM. It's our national language for God's sake. Isn't that what they teach everyone in school? I know I sound selfish right now, but it really is ridiculous to expect us to be fluent in the local dialect the moment we set foot here, with words foreign to our ears and whatnot.
- Rude people. There is no reason for them to act like they rule the world and treat everyone else like crap. We're all there to learn or to work. I don't care who you are, be civil and give me a reason to respect you. They teach us ethics in med school, but obviously people forget.
- Basically just the pressure. Wanting to make sure everything you do is perfect, yet there will always be something you missed. But this takes some getting used to (a lot, actually), but yea, I'll soon get the hang of it.
What made it fun:
- I can't think of anything at the moment. Hahaha. I guess it's the thrill, that excitement you get. You know, when it finally feels like you're doing something real (doesn't matter if you're still terrible at it), rather than just attending lectures and reading thick-ass books. Tired as you may be, at least you get to go home with some sense of satisfaction.
On another note, I seriously need to do something about this insomnia that's been bugging me for weeks. I've tried warm milk, taking a bath, tiring myself out, watching a movie, nothing seems to work. Someone read me a bedtime story!
Ohya! It's 10.10.10! Nice date to get hitched. Or something eventful like that. =P
2 comments:
drink coffee.. :D
oh lol, yea myb i should, caffeine has an opposite effect on me.
Post a Comment